There are a few common factors that stand out in how great leaders wow today’s employees. To get to be a great leader you must have succeeded in your field, you must have experienced both good and bad times and made it through the other side stronger. These successes and the decisions you made to reach them will empower you to be successful and viewed as such.
In this article I have broken down the ways that great leaders wow today’s employees into six sub sections of great leadership skills
- LEAD BY EXAMPLE – no matter how well or how long you train or how many handbooks your staff read it cannot compare to learning by doing the job itself. Experience is invaluable and being the leader you must lead by example from your work ethic to the execution and obviously the attaining of results. This will be the most inspiring factor to your employees.
- KNOWLEDGE – as Sir Francis Bacon famously said knowledge is power. As the leader of the business your knowledge will be the pinnacle. As a leader people will look to you to impart your knowledge or answer questions and come up with solutions to problems.
- PROFESSIONALISM we live in a multicultural world today with many different perceptions, values and morals so faced with such varied people to deal with we must remain professional and courteous at all times. This is one of the most difficult things to teach so leading by example and dealing with errors from your staff in an educational manner is the best option.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT – another great leadership quality is people management. Caring for your staff, helping them develop in their careers, motivating them and rewarding good performances as well as dealing with staff who have a toxic effect through negative behaviours will help you become a great leader
- LEADERSHIP – the greatest leaders today have fantastic people management skills. However everyone has a different leadership style and knowing what is the best style for you and for others is the key to great leadership. Your employees will also respond to better to different leadership styles so being able to communicate your message across the board will define you as a great leader.
- COMMUNICATION – communication must be a two way street in any business , you communicating your needs and expectations to your employees and your employees being able to communicate there needs to you as there leader. Communication is one of the most important factors in business today and being able communicate throughout your organisation will only lead to greater success in improving your efficiency, quality of service as well as highlighting and resolving any issues that may arise.
In this article I hope to have highlighted a few ways that today’s great leaders can wow their employees. Incorporating each of these factors into your leadership style will help you succeed as a leader and in business.