In this article I hope to highlight the five key ways good leadership will effectively change the fortunes of a business.
To be a leader in the world of business you have to have a range of qualities both personal and vocational. Below I have sub sectioned these qualities into the key areas that need improving to implement and sustain effective business change.
- LEADERSHIP – Leadership itself is key to turning round a business’s fortunes. In times of need the member parts of a business will turn to its leader for strength, advise and reassurance. You must be able to lead by example both in your work ethic and in your determination to turn things around.
- PROFFESIONALISM – when a business is going through changes, things will have to change and change can cause stress. It is important that yourself as the leader and your staff remain professional even though some changes may be difficult the transition will be facilitated by your people’s professionalism.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT – the people within your business will all have to work together as a team to effect the business change therefore having good people management skills is vital. You will have to be able to maximise the effectiveness of your staff by training them, advising them on the right way to do things and rewarding them for doing things right. The handling of members of staff who have a negative effect on your business through negative thought, poor work ethic or unsociable behaviour is also very important. This will show your leadership qualities to your staff and if they respect you and your decisions and see results you will be able to see it in their efforts.
- COMMUNICATION – communication within your organisation is key to enable any change to take place. As a leader you will need to communicate with each member of staff individually and as a group. Everybody is different and everybody will respond to different leadership tactics or styles so being able to communicate what you want to happen individually and as a business will be vital to its success. During going through change it is important that communication channels are open both ways so you can listen to any worries and advise your staff if needed reassuring them this is right and it will work.
- KNOWLEDGE your knowledge as a leader is also key to effective business change. You hold the position as leader because of your experience, and knowledge comes with experience. You will rely on your experience to enable you to make the business decisions that will achieve the goals you desire and implement new marketing strategies, and sales strategies and the fundamental changes that will affect your business change for the better.
In summary changing a business’s fortunes is not wholly down to one person. As a leader it is your actions and decisions that will make that change possible.