Now that you have your site ready, you can write articles around your chosen subject matter. This is vitally important when it comes to online presence because it positions you as someone with something to say about a topic.
Blogging is very popular right now. And having a business weblog that provides good information for your customers while being timely and fun can add a new dimension to your Web site.
Blogs are a powerful tool for marketing and promotion. Because the entries are short, and often full of links, they are more keyword heavy than standard articles often are. Plus, being short, they are easy for your customers to read (and you to write), so they are more likely to come back daily to see what you might have to say on that day.
If your company is very formal, a blog is a place to show your customers that it is made up of people just like them. You can do this without becoming too personal or diary-like.
Here are some ways in which a blog can be beneficial to your online presence:
- Frequently Asked Questions – If you get a lot of mail asking you the same things over and over again, you can post the common questions up on a blog. This will provide your visitors a place to go to see questions and answers, and as new questions come in, you can post them to help more people.
- Promotions – If you do promotions every week or few days, you can use a blog to highlight them.
- Contests – Daily contests and games are a great promo in a blog. They are fun, and bring your customers back.
- What’s New Pages – If you add lots of new articles, information, or products regularly, sometimes it can be difficult for your customers to find out what’s new. A quick blog entry can show them what’s updated on your site.
- What’s Coming – You can use a blog to peak interest in future products or projects. It’s also a great way to keep notes about what you’re planning for your customers, the entries are archived so nothing is lost either for you or your customers. Plus, if your blog tool has a comments feature, you can use that to judge interest before it goes live.
- Photo Blog – Rather than writing, you could put up a daily photo for your customers. A photo and a short description can be very compelling.
- News – The most common use for blogs is news, usually about the specific topic relevant to the site, person or company.
Once you get into a rhythm of writing, you’ll soon find plenty of things to talk about and this also facilitates conversation on your website. Here are some tips when it comes to writing:
- Find a niche topic about which to write. If you already have a niche web site, write on related topics. One thing that is important is writing articles that pertain to the needs and desires of people who buy from you, not just the people who read your web site. You should be targeting your buyers, specifically, and drawing new buyers to your website.
- Write a title that is keyword optimized and accurately reflects the content of the article. Use your keyword first in the article, then tell the reader what they are going to learn in your article.
- Write 3 main points to your article. 3 steps to getting something done, 3 interesting facts, 3 ways to do something.
- Write an intro paragraph which summarizes what you teach in the 3 points.
- Write a closing biography that tells the reader how they can get more information about your topic.